Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Book Review

Confessions of a shopaholic


Oh how I loved this book.  Confessions of a Shopaholic is the first book in the Shopaholic series and where we first meet Becky Bloomwood. Becky had me crying with laughter at her shopping addictions and I hate to say it but I had several “oh my god, I do that!” moments (more than I care to admit to in fact).


Well I loved this book! I was gripped from the word go. This is pure chick-lit – with a cheesy storyline, which was quite unbelievable and predictable, but did that effect the book? Nope. I was excited about reading it – I didn’t want to stop, I didn’t want the book to finish.
Becky is a bored financial journalist who just can’t stop spending money she hasn’t got. She’s constantly in trouble with the bank and all her store cards have gone over their limits so she decides to try and save money using a self help book. I really did laugh out loud at some of the ideas she tried to try to curtail her spending, which usually ended up with her spending more.
I laughed a lot through this book and was just thoroughly entertained. I think some people will dismiss this book as utter rubbish as it is a bit unbelievable and predictable, but I can’t help but give it the top rating because I felt so excited by the book, I didn’t want to stop reading, I was hooked, and actually I wasn’t disappointed at all.
Yes, Becky was shallow, and manipulative, but I felt sorry for her and really wanted to know what was going to happen to her. I guess I secretly liked her character. The characters are all well written, and although I didn’t like some of them (the mean ones!) I liked how they were written; I could believe in them.
Shopping has never been so much fun.

My rating: 5/5

3 comments:

  1. Indeed a nice post! I am also from the SEO background and love to enjoy reading fresh posts on this subject. I would like to thank you for writing this post and now I am your regular reader as I have subscribed your blog in my RSS reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these books!! Had totally forgotten about them! Thanks for the reminder :)

    http://dejafashion.blogspot.com
    x x

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you.. Please leave your comments and suggestions...